2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum

2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum (https://www.mustangs550forum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Mustang Lounge (https://www.mustangs550forum.com/forum/ford-mustang-lounge/)
-   -   Are we in the greatest muscle car era? (https://www.mustangs550forum.com/forum/ford-mustang-lounge/490-we-greatest-muscle-car-era.html)

Sally 06-25-2013 11:17 AM

Are we in the greatest muscle car era?

According to Consumer Reports we are. They say today's modern car beats the classics in every way.

While I do agree performance and technology is better. I don't exactly agree with CR's statement. I still feel the classics have a look, feel and design that has yet to be beat.

Consumer Reports Article

rwdftw 07-08-2013 08:37 PM

When it comes to overall performance, yes. There's no way you can throw a 67 GT500 and a 2013 GT500 on a road course and expect the 67 to come anywhere close to the 2013. However the classics were beautifully designed with quality materials and craftsmanship and not as automated and poor quality as todays cars.

mgt550 07-09-2013 09:21 AM

Not in terms of choices, the 60's offered a gear head a wider breadth of choices and hotter options. Performance grows with evolution but those choices aren't coming back

mr.smith 07-09-2013 09:56 AM

Some of the change in design is simply because of advancements in performance, technology, etc, but another reason for the huge change in design of muscle cars from the 60s to now is safety. Cars have to deal with many more regulations which aim to improve vehicle safety since Ralph Nader came along. With all those regulations, I doubt we will see a return to the classic muscle car look.

Boss-Stang 07-10-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.smith (Post 5042)
Some of the change in design is simply because of advancements in performance, technology, etc, but another reason for the huge change in design of muscle cars from the 60s to now is safety. Cars have to deal with many more regulations which aim to improve vehicle safety since Ralph Nader came along. With all those regulations, I doubt we will see a return to the classic muscle car look.

sounds about right. safety wasn't as much of a concern as it is today, I remember those two point seat belts did more harm than good and that is just a small part of safety. they have advanced so much in their vehicles some safety features that exist now makes the difference n life and death like anti crumple zones to protect passengers inside the cabin and pillar airbags the list goes on.

ForceFedStang 07-10-2013 11:50 AM

I would love to own a classic 63' fastback but just to drive on special occasions I can't imagine how it would be in an event of an accident...

Domestic Violence 07-10-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForceFedStang (Post 5314)
I would love to own a classic 63' fastback but just to drive on special occasions I can't imagine how it would be in an event of an accident...

You'd be surprised how well cars were built back then. compared to todays mass produced ones I would actual trust the quality of the mustang built way back. Cars back then were built to last with a much different vision.

BruteStang23 07-10-2013 11:57 AM

The quality of the classic mustangs were great, much better than todays. So we went from building quality cars with hardly any techolonogy to shitty ones with modern technology... hmmmm

2tonepony 07-10-2013 06:53 PM

quality control might change around.
I know GM is making a serious effort to up the quality of their cars.
keep in mind we still have very little info on the new mustang.

cfrp 07-13-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 4146)
According to Consumer Reports we are. They say today's modern car beats the classics in every way.

While I do agree performance and technology is better. I don't exactly agree with CR's statement. I still feel the classics have a look, feel and design that has yet to be beat.

Consumer Reports Article

Consumer reports needs to lay off the crack pipe.

Muscle cars aren't all about performance and power.

The cars of today will never have the prestige of the cars back then.

Just look at the prices. Any 1st generation mustang in decent condition is $$$

Way more than a current Mustang.

Demand and Supply