2nd gear notchy - 2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
ecm

2nd gear notchy

On my manual ecoboost my 2nd gear has been notchy since the day I drove it off the lot. It almost seems the synchros are messed up. Is this normal to have a little notch/resistance when shifting. All the other gears engage smoother. It's by no means horrible, it's just takes slightly more effort to pull it in to 2nd then the other gears. I was thinking maybe 2nd had this to help prevent a mis shift from 3rd to 2nd. Anyone else notice this?
post #2 of 5 Old 05-13-2015, 12:19 PM

I have the same issue with my GT. Do you have the 3.73 gears as well? I have to really feather the clutch in order for it to go into 2nd without a little bucking while driving normally. When I hammer it, there is no problem, but I probably shouldn't do that all the time...
post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2015, 11:34 AM

The cure!

A quick Google search took me here. 2 minutes to fix the issue!

Clutch Pedal Spring Removal On 2015 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaRoush279 View Post
I have the same issue with my GT. Do you have the 3.73 gears as well? I have to really feather the clutch in order for it to go into 2nd without a little bucking while driving normally. When I hammer it, there is no problem, but I probably shouldn't do that all the time...
Mine does the same. Apparently, it's inherent to the manual gear box. Many others have tried different gear box fluids and friction modifiers, but they all seem to help minimally. I do have the .373 gear, but that isn't the issue.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-06-2016, 10:30 PM

I called Ford directly about removing the spring. They told me do not remove it without replacing it with another one. Did this on mine, then did my research. No spring can cause pre mature wear on the slave cylinder. Yes, I agree, no spring feels great! Don't take the chance, its like $10 for a replacement Steeda one. Stock is 185lb spring, Steeda makes a 35lb one.

read more on it here: Steeda?s S550 Mustang Clutch Spring Assist 35 lb/in ? Now Available! | Steeda Blog