Four Cylinders to be 66 Percent of Market by 2020: Ford - 2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Four Cylinders to be 66 Percent of Market by 2020: Ford

This is what I am afraid of. Buy a new car now if you like V-6 and V-8.

Quote:
Stringent new fuel economy standards and the rising price of gasoline are forcing automakers to rethink their engine lineups, and Ford says about 66 percent of all new vehicles will use four-cylinder mills by 2020.

Market share for four-cylinder engines is already on the rise. In 2008, 40 percent of the market consisted of four pots, while roughly 53 percent of the new car market is four cylinder engines according to market researcher R.L Polk.

While pickup trucks and large SUVs will almost certainly continue on with six- and eight-cylinder engines, almost every other segment now offers standard four-cylinder engines. That’s mainly because today’s four cylinders are as powerful as most six cylinders, but offer superior fuel efficiency. This is especially true when it comes to turbocharged four cylinders, which Ford is increasingly using in its new vehicles like the Ford Escape crossover and the Taurus sedan.

While the use of four cylinders continues to rise, Ford is also introducing the first three-cylinder engine to the U.S. in the new Fiesta coming later this year. General Motors is also expected to introduce a three-cylinder engine to North America sometime in the next few years.
post #2 of 15 Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM

2020 is not far away, and it only takes a couple years for a complete changeover. Just look at the majority of v8 engines being implemented in vehicles right now. There is only a few and even with domestic they are pulling out of the high displacement game. I see it happening. It all just points to one thing, Hybrids.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM

It's funny how people's perspective on four cylinders especially on a board like this. I think it'll take sometime for consumers to realize, but v8s are on the road to extinction. Believe it. Just look at the Mustang for instance being offered the turbo four cylinder. What's next a four cylinder corvette and charger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM

These four cylinders are more than likely going to be outfitted with turbo chargers or some sort of forced induction to efficiently make power. the thing is the gas prices are going to rise whether we like it or not. We have no control over that.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Kai View Post
This is what I am afraid of. Buy a new car now if you like V-6 and V-8.
Sadly, I think you have a point here. I think before 2015 it'll be the last of the v8s and then the next will be v6s. The whole 3 cylinder engine being in the works just kind of changes the whole formula for me. I think I would look elsewhere when ford reaches that point.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM

I can't see America getting rid of the V8. In Europe, sure. But not America. V8 and American muscle is intertwined.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY View Post
I can't see America getting rid of the V8. In Europe, sure. But not America. V8 and American muscle is intertwined.
anyone who truely believes Ford will get rid of the V8 is just crazy, it would literately kill this car and send Mustang customers to Chevy for the 2016 camaro. if there's any more solid information needed on the V8 and other S550 engines it's going to be in this thread... https://www.mustangs550forum.com/foru...gine-plan.html
post #8 of 15 Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY View Post
I think by the time we get to 2020 even for most cars in North america V8s will become an option like how the four cylinder is for the Mustang now.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM

V8 engines will forever be preferred by die hard mustang fans and cars in the same category. With 4 cyl engine on the rise providing almost just as much horsepower I think some will start jumping ship. Not me though.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-04-2013, 10:49 AM

Those are some sad Mustangs.

If I wanted a 4 cylinder I'd just get a Focus.