DCT question - 2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

DCT question

Anyone know if a DCT transmission can be made that uses a stick instead of paddles? I think alot of the taboo that keeps most people from driving stick are the nuances of the clutch, albeit they're much more user friendly now than ever before.

DCTs are excellent for efficiency I just despise flappy paddles. What do you guys think is it possible to have a DCT stick?
post #2 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 01:09 PM

What DCT equipped vehicles have you driven?

I'm trying to stay away from DCT in Ford's, haven't heard good things from Ford Focus owners.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang View Post
What DCT equipped vehicles have you driven?

I'm trying to stay away from DCT in Ford's, haven't heard good things from Ford Focus owners.
When I used to work for BMW I drove several DCT equipped M models and wasn't particularly impressed with how lurchy they get around town. I also drove a Veloster and Golf with DCT while cross shopping the Focus. Wasn't impressed with the Hyundai, Volkswagen or the Focus DCT and ended up getting the Focus with a stick, WAYYY more enjoyable, there's something enjoyable about rowing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt550 View Post
Anyone know if a DCT transmission can be made that uses a stick instead of paddles? I think alot of the taboo that keeps most people from driving stick are the nuances of the clutch, albeit they're much more user friendly now than ever before.

DCTs are excellent for efficiency I just despise flappy paddles. What do you guys think is it possible to have a DCT stick?
It is possible to control the upshift and downshifts from the shift level rather than the paddles. Some might even have both for better options depending on the driver. It's just two buttons really.

The ones on the shifter on the center console just makes it a sequential shift (+/-)
post #5 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 PM

It is possible to have it made on the shift rod on the console but shifter paddles are easy to reach with less time. Now, I am no endorsers of this mechanism but If I really had to pick I would go with the paddles. Keep the shifter for the real manual transmissions.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 PM

DCT.... WTF is Juice!?

Come on guys serious this must be a thing for the four banger mustang owners. Who would even want DCT in a mustang seriously. Manuals are the best transmissions for the mustang period. I can imagine having to drive a v8 with paddles.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM

Ford hasn't come up with a great DCT yet but once they do I bet they will mass produce them like crazy. Maybe one day even on the mustang. If one day the Ford Mustang ends up to be like 600hp only then it would make sens to have a dual clutch transmission to do the shifting.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Violence View Post
Ford hasn't come up with a great DCT yet but once they do I bet they will mass produce them like crazy. Maybe one day even on the mustang. If one day the Ford Mustang ends up to be like 600hp only then it would make sens to have a dual clutch transmission to do the shifting.
I get your point on that. Kinda refers back to the Nissan GTR R35 which only comes with the DCT because it is humanly impossible to shift faster and more efficient than the DCT itself. But do you think the mustang would ever have gears that short in the first place...
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Violence View Post
There are some mustangs that make 600hp I think it would be needed if it were to hit around the 800hp mark.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteStang23 View Post
It is possible to control the upshift and downshifts from the shift level rather than the paddles. Some might even have both for better options depending on the driver. It's just two buttons really.

The ones on the shifter on the center console just makes it a sequential shift (+/-)
Yea Ive driven a sequential stick but im curious about a DCT stick with an actual shift pattern. Although there wouldnt be a way to induce clutch dump. I know on DCTs if you pull both paddles in it dumps the clutch

I think DCT will eventually make its way into the Mustang but I dont see it replacing a MT just available as an option. I doubt the Mustang ever gets gears that short just because of fuel econ, the GTR can get away with it because they dont usually do daily duties, but Mustangs are used as DDs in the summer and the winter by some.