2015 Ford Mustang 4-Cylinder Turbo Confirmed for U.S. - 2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Boss-Stang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

2015 Ford Mustang 4-Cylinder Turbo Confirmed for U.S.

Earlier reports that the 2015 Ford Mustang will get a turbocharged 4-cylinder EcoBoost exclusively for the European market have turned out to be false. That turbo 4-banger is headed to America too.

When the 2015 Ford Mustang hits American dealerships, itíll be offered with a 2.3-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine as an option Ė and chances are, that wonít be the base model engine. The American automaker has shown throughout its lineup that its EcoBoost engines are a premium upgrade and will continue to do so with its sports car.

As we speculated earlier, the 2.3-liter EcoBoost that will show up in the 2015 ĎStang will be a larger variant of the 2.0-liter currently found in the Focus ST. But with its larger displacement, itís expected to push out over 300 hp. Considering that the current base engine 3.7-liter V6 has 305 hp, the EcoBoost offering should improve on that number. Of course, true Mustang enthusiasts will continue to embrace the top-of-the-line V8.
post #2 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 PM

A four cylinder turbo is a step in the right direction. Due to CAFE standards and the rest of the automotive industry trying to be more fuel efficient, Ford has to follow them. Turbo Four cylinder engines of today are able to deliver as much power as mid-sized V6 engines, so why not?
post #3 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Efficiency and power is no longer like oil and water they can be mixed and that is with the help of forced induction. I have a side of me that is saying no but then if there is benefits to reap from then why not. Having just about the same power range of a 6 cylinder but with the economy of a four. Why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Screw your four cylinder! It's all about brute force and power. There is no time for tree hugging. A V8 mustang will blow the doors off a degenerate 4 banger any day.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM

so the rumors are true... i don't know how to take this in right now but hey i guess we'll have to accept it. As long as they don't get rid of the V8 I have no problem with that. They could pump out turbo four cylinder mustangs all day but in the end the V8 is at the top.
5Trickpony and ForceFedStang like this.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss-Stang View Post
so the rumors are true... i don't know how to take this in right now but hey i guess we'll have to accept it. As long as they don't get rid of the V8 I have no problem with that. They could pump out turbo four cylinder mustangs all day but in the end the V8 is at the top.
As you will find out in this thread https://www.mustangs550forum.com/foru...tang-s550.html

Ford IS keeping it's V8 engine, they have no plan to cut it from the Mustang. Kinda surprised they didn't cut it, I thought the highest trim mustang would have a boosted V6 but I guess not and I was getting ready to suggest to Ford we get a twin turbo V6 if they drop the V8....i guess i can drop that idea.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM

I thought so too, every one is downsizing their engine but making up for it adding in boost. But it is just a small step, too early to get rid of the v8. Slowly though when the trend settles in a little deeper with buyers.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM

I don't mid the idea of using boost but why haven't they done this for the v8 mustang yet. Just to make things more interesting, If you could afford the v8's fuel economy I don't think there is much complaints there.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Not a bad idea but that one probably would have been better in the early 2000's not now though. It's only a matter of time till ford comes out with a hybrid mustang. Mark my word it will happen. Blasphemy!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Oh I know its coming alright but for the four banger mustang I thought it was more so a euro thing to sport a muscle car but with more greener numbers. I didn't expect this move from ford, I thought they would leave all this to the ford focus and fiesta.