Mustang Chief Engineer Talks Current Mustang and Next Gen (2015 Mustang S550) - 2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

post #2 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 PM

I was really worried if Ford would drop the V8 from the Mustang since the whole automotive industry is going through a phase where engines are being downsized. Cars that had 6 cylinder engines are now getting forced induction four cylinder engines, V8's replaced by forced induction and naturally aspirated six cylinder engines, etc..

I thought for a moment Ford wanted to replace their V8 with a boosted six....glad to know they are not!

Can't imagine seeing the 2015 mustang model line up and no V8 option.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Sucks the chief engineer couldn't really talk too in depth about future line ups. Mustang chief doesn't seem to be in a rush to add paddle shifters. Also, no plans to remove V8 in the Mustang. Good interview to hear where his priorities lay.

Also no hybrid mustang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdftw View Post
I was really worried if Ford would drop the V8 from the Mustang since the whole automotive industry is going through a phase where engines are being downsized. Cars that had 6 cylinder engines are now getting forced induction four cylinder engines, V8's replaced by forced induction and naturally aspirated six cylinder engines, etc..

I thought for a moment Ford wanted to replace their V8 with a boosted six....glad to know they are not!

Can't imagine seeing the 2015 mustang model line up and no V8 option.
I remember the quote "there is no replacement for displacement". Now in this day and age yes there is a replacement and that is called forced induction. If you put up a N/A v8 and a four cylinder with a turbo and minor upgrades you could get close to the v8's power range, sadly.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Yeah but it won't be the same. Just because it can generate the same amount of horsepower doesn't mean it will be just as reliable. Turbos go bad seals will leak and things will suffer from heat soak, I could do many runs in a v8 and for those who are turbocharged would be cooling down on the side of the road at idle.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
Sucks the chief engineer couldn't really talk too in depth about future line ups. Mustang chief doesn't seem to be in a rush to add paddle shifters. Also, no plans to remove V8 in the Mustang. Good interview to hear where his priorities lay.

Also no hybrid mustang.
Good to hear absolutely great. I would hate to see the ford mustang try to get ahead of itself and try to be something its not. I hope they keep it just a standard shifter instead of paddles.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 12:07 PM

To me hearing the V8 will still be kept just gave me a big sign of relief. I would hate having t deal with turbo lag, just keeping it straight all block and no snails.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Also no hybrid mustang.
Keep it that way! There is no room for a prius mustang!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Trickpony View Post
I remember the quote "there is no replacement for displacement". Now in this day and age yes there is a replacement and that is called forced induction. If you put up a N/A v8 and a four cylinder with a turbo and minor upgrades you could get close to the v8's power range, sadly.
Since there will be a turbocharged 4 cylinder on the new Mustang. It'll be fun to see how that compares with both the V6 and V8. Let's see if Ford can build a case for it.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-30-2013, 03:19 PM

At this point Ford will have to prove everyone wrong for this engine option. And show people that lower displacement engines are still capable of being powerful and fun.