• 1 Post By americanmuscle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

2015 Ford Mustang - Worth waiting for

2015 Ford Mustang: Getting Sprayed Down with a Can of Retro-Be-Gone

25 Cars Worth Waiting For: 2014–2017

2015 FORD MUSTANG
DELIVER BY: 2015

Call it Ford's Declaration of Independents. After half a century of log-axle Mustangs with only one brief experiment with an independently suspended rear end (the 1999–2004 SVT Cobra), Ford will hang a split-and-jointed drive axle beneath the 2015 Mustang's hindquarters. Considering that both the Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger already have independent rears, it's not quite as revolutionary as "We hold these truths . . ." But even with today's outdated rigid axle, the Mustang is already our favorite in this class, and a new unibody platform with its wheelbase and front and rear tracks all cinched tighter should help keep the Ford ahead of its peers.

While the current Mustang is slavishly, unimaginatively retro, Ford has pretty much mined out its glory days, the as-yet unrealized Mustang II redux notwithstanding. So the next car will be fearlessly modern. Many Mustang faithful are up in arms at the *prospect of Ford's next hot rod looking too much like the 2011 Evos concept car, but we have confidence. Between the Focus and the Fusion, Ford's styling department is on a hot streak.

The next Mustang will have at least one retro cue, though: an available turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Absent from the lineup since the 1986 SVO, the forced-induction four returns in the guise of Ford's EcoBoost 2.0-liter, which makes 252 horsepower in the Focus ST. Don't expect that figure to change much for the Mustang, where the 2.0 will sit between the car's two currently available engines. Priced higher than a revised version of the 3.7-liter V-6—rated at 305 horses in today's car—the four will be pitched as a balance of power and efficiency. Ford's 5.0-liter V-8 will top the range. The Blue Oval can't afford to leave the Camaro ZL1 unchallenged, and so another GT500 is a certainty; less certain, however, is what will power it. Pedestrian-protection standards will restrict the underhood clearances in the next car, cutting the space available not just for the Shelby's top-mount supercharger and intercooler, but also its tall-deck engine block. We suspect Ford will find a way to nestle a pair of turbos against the 5.0's block. With all engines, a six-speed manual will be standard, and we hear that an eight-speed automatic will arrive fashionably late.

Commonly referred to as a "1964-1/2" but technically a 1965, the first Mustang appeared at the New York World's Fair on April 17, 1964. Ford isn't going to miss the opportunity to throw the Mustang one heck of a 50th birthday party. April 17, 2014 will be a Thursday. It should be significantly more exciting than your average Thursday.

Full article and the rest of the 25 cars worth waiting for for 2014-17 are here!

25 Cars Worth Waiting For: 2014–2017 – Feature – Car and Driver

post #2 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 PM

The 2015 Mustang rendering above is a much more convincing picture that it will look just as good or even better than the 5th generation Mustang. Quite awesome how they got rid of the retro look going for something more futuristic and still manage to make it look like what a mustang should.

2015 Mustang is definitely a car worth waiting for.
BruteStang23 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 PM

I never like the previous generation of mustang. I thought they were trying way too hard to bring back the retro look the thing was so much bigger than the elder mustangs. It was like a boat.

Hopefully with this new design they don't get flamed too much for trying something new and help shed some light back to the brand where its much needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 PM

Unlike the other guys on here I am looking forward for the reveal of a much different mustang. I mean think about it this way they can continue to make a decent mustang, Ford needs to make an outstanding mustang that would impress not only elder mustang owners but the majority to rake in the sales. I think it will be a big and good change for Ford.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

I am worried about the design. I really don't want them to fudge this one up because so far the renderings have been so so to me.

But I am always worried when they update the Mustang.. It's only gotten worse as each generation goes by in my opinion.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
I am worried about the design. I really don't want them to fudge this one up because so far the renderings have been so so to me.

But I am always worried when they update the Mustang.. It's only gotten worse as each generation goes by in my opinion.
Really? I thought the most recent generation brought the Mustang full circle by being closer in design to the the original Fastback Mustangs of the 1960s. I would rank the fifth generation best right after the first gen.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteStang23 View Post
Unlike the other guys on here I am looking forward for the reveal of a much different mustang. I mean think about it this way they can continue to make a decent mustang, Ford needs to make an outstanding mustang that would impress not only elder mustang owners but the majority to rake in the sales. I think it will be a big and good change for Ford.
That's exactly how I see it too. Ford is on the right path so far. They have their ecoboost engines going in the Mustang for a more fuel efficient and "green" mustang and keeping the big V8 for us guys that want the traditional mustang pony car.

So for the first time in a long time, the Mustang will get a 4 cylinder engine. Can't forgot those gold ole foxbody days!