Will it get the 2.7?? - 2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Will it get the 2.7??

So we know the EcoBoost engine will be an option on the base V6 but currently the mustang has seen no ecoboost love at the top. Personally I think that might change.

I think the 3.5 TT is too much of a rival for the Coyote 5.0 to be a viable option in the Mustang, but the new 2.7L EcoBoost 6 that debuted this morning in the 2015 F150 could be THAT engine.

check it out...

Ford Introduces All-new 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 in 2015 F-150 Truck - EngineLabs

'86 Fox GT Cobra- White Lightning
post #2 of 6 Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 AM

Would an engine from an F150 even fit in a Mustang? Would a 3.5TT sell in a Mustang? I think so. But how would they market it vs the V8? That I'm not sure. It takes some planning.. And in the meantime I think Ford is happy with their decision to keep the V8 and V6 and introduce a 4 cylinder turbo. One step at a time!~ If the 4 cylinder turbo does really well maybe there will be a V6TT to market slightly above the V6 and they will move the V8 upwards in price (maybe more power? more luxury? more features?) That is my thoughts on this.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
Would an engine from an F150 even fit in a Mustang? Would a 3.5TT sell in a Mustang? I think so. But how would they market it vs the V8? That I'm not sure. It takes some planning.. And in the meantime I think Ford is happy with their decision to keep the V8 and V6 and introduce a 4 cylinder turbo. One step at a time!~ If the 4 cylinder turbo does really well maybe there will be a V6TT to market slightly above the V6 and they will move the V8 upwards in price (maybe more power? more luxury? more features?) That is my thoughts on this.
You'd be surprised what engines in trucks are used in sedan's.
It all depends on the engine bay and how they configure it. Sometimes they even reconfigure some of the stuff to make it better fit in the bay. I've seen it done with V6's and V8's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-14-2014, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
The mustang and F150 have always shared an engine. The 302 from way back, the 4.8 from the 90s, the 5.4 from the mid 00's and now they share the Coyote 5.0.

People wondered the same thing about the 3.5 TT in the F150 and its turned into their best selling engine. As for marketing it you offer it as an upgrade option on the 5.0. But its either the 2.7 V6 or the 3.5 V6. The 3.5TT will make Coyote Type power, while the 2.7 is obviously less powerful than the 3.5 (no figures yet i believe) so it would come down to which engine ford wants to be king pin.

would they rather have 2 Ecoboost engines are being more powerful premium upgrades or would they like to use the 2.7 for an efficiency angle??

Although one last thought, Europe gets hammered by C02 taxes, the 2.7 Eco as an upgrade on the GT would likely increase the take rate on the upscale GT vs the 2.3 Eco base for Europe...

'86 Fox GT Cobra- White Lightning
post #5 of 6 Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 AM

3.5TT in the mustang would be epic, but then again they might want to stick with tradition if going that high into a power range and stick with V8's. I think no matter what people will always want a V8 and Ford will always make them but alter them along the way.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2015, 01:14 AM

I think Ford is happy with their decision to keep the V8 and V6 and introduce a 4 cylinder turbo. One step at a time!~ If the 4 cylinder turbo does really well maybe there will be a V6TT to market slightly above the V6 and they will move the V8 upwards in price (maybe more power? more luxury? more features?) That is my thoughts on this.