Hybrid/Electric Ford Mustang - Page 2 - 2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 16 Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 AM

I think the main reason why they won't make a hybrid Mustang is simply because it won't sell. There are very few people who would want both a hybrid and a Mustang. The two markets don't overlap very much. The most people can hope for is a Mustang that is more fuel efficient, but I have a feeling many would sacrifice a little fuel efficiency for some more power. Sorry environment.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM

I would be interested in seeing/driving a hybrid S550. Electric motors make obscene levels of torque, imagine a hybrid mustang that literally rockets out of the hole coupled with regenerative braking. The technology is available the problem is cost, make a mustang like that and the S550 is no longer the affordable coupe that every one loves.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM

That is the problem with most hybrid/electric cars right now. In the near future I can see this technology being both more effective and affordable, but until then people just won't be willing to pay the extra dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
That is the problem with most hybrid/electric cars right now. In the near future I can see this technology being both more effective and affordable, but until then people just won't be willing to pay the extra dollars.
Agreed, the higher cost and marginal fuel savings from most hybrid vehicles essentially leaves you worse off. It takes years to realize any savings from owning a hybrid vehicle.

The racing world is heavily into the development of these technologies, its only a matter of time before they become main stream. Mustang would be the perfect performance vehicle to break the ice with, universal appeal and affordability.

It would be rather fitting for the car that birthed the pony car revolution to birth the hybrid revolution, maybe a later dated Mustang S550? I'm curious at least...
post #15 of 16 Old 07-09-2013, 04:45 PM

A functional hybrid Mustang would certainly appeal to a far different market than the current options (Prius, Smartcar, Volt.) The only electric car I can think of that has design chops is the Tesla, and that is for people who have a lot of money (upwards of $77,000.)
post #16 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
I think the main reason why they won't make a hybrid Mustang is simply because it won't sell. There are very few people who would want both a hybrid and a Mustang. The two markets don't overlap very much. The most people can hope for is a Mustang that is more fuel efficient, but I have a feeling many would sacrifice a little fuel efficiency for some more power. Sorry environment.
that is a very good point.

Who doesn't want better fuel economy but at the same time I don't think Mustang buyers will be happy with sacrificing performance for it.