2015 Ford Mustang Independent Rear Suspension - 2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cfrp

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 05-01-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

2015 Ford Mustang Independent Rear Suspension

Ford will be ditching the live rear axle for 2015 in favor of an independent rear suspension. This looks to be an issue of contention for a lot of Mustang fans, who seem to already be hating the 6th generation revision.
post #2 of 6 Old 05-01-2013, 06:28 PM

I hated how a solid rear axle made the mustang have a harsher ride and made it more bouncy than it should be, this might be the right move for the new ford mustang, but i don't know too much about independent rear suspensions vs live rear axle.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Well, basically the the live rear axle links the left and right wheels together with a solid beam, meaning that movement on one wheel affects the other. In an independent suspension, the drive wheels can move up and down independently, without one affecting the other.

The main disadvantages to LRA is the tendency to lose traction when cornering and as you said a stiffer and harsher ride on rougher roads.

Fans would argue that LRA has an advantage in drag racing due to its stiffer design. But as far as I know that's about it. Independent suspension has the advantage in about everything else.

Richard Hammond from Britain's Top Gear once described the LRA as "running around with your laces tied together, there are better ways of getting around"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM

The 2015 Mustang independent rear suspension has been photographed.

2015 Ford Mustang independent rear suspension

2013 Ford Mustang solid rear axle
post #5 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 AM

I actually am not sure if its 100% confirmed. That photo is from a 2013 Mustang fitted with a prototype rear suspension.

americanmuscle likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
I actually am not sure if its 100% confirmed. That photo is from a 2013 Mustang fitted with a prototype rear suspension.
Quite a few sources mentioned we are getting an independent rear suspension, I think even some Ford engineers mentioned it in a video.

what you see above is a 2015 mustang test mule disguised as a 2013 mustang, interior, engine and just about everything else is suppose to be on the 2015 model.