What do you think of headlight splitters? - 2015 Ford Mustang S550 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

What do you think of headlight splitters?

I found these headlight splitters for the Mustang GT/V6 and they look awesome. I like how they mimic the horizontal detail on the bumper.

Thoughts?
post #2 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 04:51 PM

not the biggest fan, but i love the tape look you used to see on old race cars

post #3 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Are you suggesting that I put tape over the headlights of my brand new car? Is that even legal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
Are you suggesting that I put tape over the headlights of my brand new car? Is that even legal?
why not? If people can drive with garbage bags for windows you can get away with a little tape job
post #5 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM

headlight splitters can look good if done right, maybe not in the same style as in the picture above but in a way that complements the original design. After we see what the headlights look like, i'll tell you if i want splitters.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Terrible idea.

There would be a giant black bar across your light output.

post #7 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

I don't think that it really affects how much light comes out of the headlights. If there is any difference, I bet is is negligible.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM

You are slapping a block right in between the light output area.. How would it not effect light output... That is like saying wear glasses with tape down the middle - you can still see fine.

post #9 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
You are slapping a block right in between the light output area.. How would it not effect light output... That is like saying wear glasses with tape down the middle - you can still see fine.
I am about to lay down a physics/sight lesson on you. light spills over the side of objects that get put in its path. The sides of shadows are actually lighter than the middle of a shadow. Do you really think a headlight splitter would cause a giant black stripe in the light from your headlights. The closer the object is to the light, the more space beyond the object the light can fill in.

And if you put a fine line of tape on your glasses I am not sure you would see it. Its like how your brain makes you not see your nose even though its in the way of your eyesight.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 PM

You are missing one important aspect of current day xenon headlamps.

Xenon bulbs are placed behind a horizontal shield that blocks the top half of the light and only allows the bottom half out. That is followed my a projector lens that concentrates the light forward.

If you place your hand directly infront of a xenon headlamp you can see the line. If you place an object directly in front of this line you will see a shadow.

The light in a xenon projector headlamp is directional kind of like a laser.

It is different compared to your standard halogen reflectors that just shoot light in all directions coming out of the bulb.

Lights that output from current day xenon headlamps look like this

It is much like a laser where the light is aimed at a direction and not anywhere else.

This is what headlights use to output

No direction. Just anywhere the reflectors aim it.

How do I know this for sure?

Well when I head to track events I like to tape up my headlights in a cross to indicate the car is an off road car. I can see the projector cutoff having dark spots around where tape lays. It's not a clear shadow but the light output is decreased simply because projector housings are so directional (kind of like a laser)

mgt550 likes this.

Last edited by cfrp; 07-16-2013 at 02:56 PM.